Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Free Things Are Cool Playlist for 5/10/06

My bi-weekly radio show
(breaks indicate sets)
artist / song / album / label

The Double U / Mazurkle / Absurd Fjord / Communion

Matthew Hattie Hein & Christine Denk / I'll Never Learn / KAOS Theory (v/a) / Mayonnaise-Cottleston Pie
Loren Connors / The Five Points / Night Through / Family Vinyard
Lois / Not Funny, Ha-Ha / Infinity Plus / K
Husker Du / Real World / Metal Circus / SST
The BellRays / Maniac Blues / Have a Little Faith / Cheap Lullaby
Bauhaus / Dark Entries / ep / 4AD
Zen Frisbee / Alabama - Good Gippi Miss Ippi / Good Enough / Fire Ant
Crayon / Snap-Tight Wars / Brick Factory / Harriet

Marty Gold & His Organ Ensemble / Sentimental Journey / The History of Space Age Pop Vol. 1: Melodies and Mischief / RCA
Henri Rene & His Orchestra & Chorus / Roller Coaster / The History of Space Age Pop Vol. 1: Melodies and Mischief / RCA
(both behind my voice)

Thankful / Don't Let Nobody Stop Dreams / God is Music / Louie Gordon Productions
Pere Ubu / Final Solution / Datapanic in the Year Zero (box set) / DGC
Half Japanese / Said and Done / Charmed Life / 50 Skidillion watts

Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell / You're All I Need to Get By / Best of... / Motown
Rod McKuen / Kaleidoscope / Greatest Hits vol. 1 / Stanyon
Of Montreal / Rose Robert / Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies / Kindercore
Hermes Nye / Old Rebel / Ballads of the Civil War / Folkways
Os Mutantes / A Minha Menina / the best of... / Luaka Bop

Sun Ra & His Myth Science Arkestra / Space Mates / Fate in Mood-When Sun Comes / Evidence (behind my voice)

The Mountain Goats / The Mess Inside / All Hail West Texas / Emperor Jones
The Mountain Goats / Lion's Teeth / The Sunset Tree / 4AD
Danielle Howle / Who Knows / Thank You, Mark / Valley Entertainment
Alec K. Redfern & the Eyesores / The Way of All Flesh / The Smother Party / North East Indie
Loose Fur / Stupid As The Sun / Born Again in the USA / Drag City
Maximo Park / Isolation / Missing Songs / Warp
The Red Krayola / Pay Ops / Introduction / Drag City
Jandek / Sense of Reason / Somebody in the Snow / Corwood
The Soft Boys / All Shook Up / Live at the Portland Arms / Glass Fish

William Parker / Compassion Seizes Bed-Stuy / Long Hidden: The Olmec Series / AUM Fidelity (behind my voice)

Rose Melberg / The Orchard / Cast Away the Clouds / Double Agent
Tom Verlaine / Shadow Walks Away / Around / Thrill Jockey
Calexico / Smash / Garden Ruin / Quarterstick
The Double U / Sing For Your Brown Supper / Absurd Fjord / Communion
Daniel Johnston / True Love Will Find You in the End / Welcome to my World... / High Wire Music
Dum Dum Dum / Dum Dum Dum / Messthetics Greatest Hits (v/a) / www.hyped2death.com

Head and Leg / The Hits Keep Comin' / In Your Dreams / Seeland

~fin~

And so it goes...

This was the penultimate Free Things Are Cool for me. Wednesday May 24th is going to be my last show. I can't do it anymore... I need my sleep and with Mindy and me both working full time I'm gonna have to have less time for sleep even without the radio show. No can do. Thirteen years is enough. Maybe I'll still sub Martha's show sometimes, but these regular shows are killing me.

Thanks to everyone for listening. Maybe I'll start doing a podcast or something if there seems to be interest. I dunno... I'm busy.

love,
Brooks

7 comments:

daddy said...

More time for baby!
Congrats on making it so long!
Got any work for me?

Brooks said...

Thanks Jus...

Sorry, no work, just lots of debt to pay off.

If you wanna help me pay off my debt, that'd be great!

-Brooks

Jesus Toast said...

Jandek on Corwood.

What a simple ad campaign that would have been.

Brooks said...

JT-

Not as easy as Janice on Cord Wood.

Anonymous said...

A monumental loss for KAOS to be sure. No reason it couldn't be a hiatus to return to once the little one is in school for a few years though.

I went two years without a radio show just to get a better job and the hell out of Olympia. Drove me nuts, but it was worth it, and low and behold I came back in a better place.

Sounds setvitcl to me!

Brooks said...

True dat, r-wang, true dat.

Oh and by the way, urxzynqx til the cows come home, okay?

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across this site while looking to see what the heck the NewBad Things were up to and saw that you had on your listening list Matthew Hattie Hein & Christine Denk. Got any clue if the former members of are doing anything that can be purchased at a local record shop?

bikepunx@gmail.com