Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Free Things Are Cool 4/26/06

Thee Playlist from My (usually) Bi-Weekly Radio Show
Spaces to indicate sets
(artist / title / album / label)

The Double U / Mazurkle / Absurd Fjord / Communion

Maryrose Crook w/ the Renderers / Under the Sea / Ghosts of Our Vegas Lives / 3 Beads of Sweat
Things Fall Apart / History of Bad Families / As Above - So Below / self
Slim Moon & What Army / Fanfic / Sur La Mer (v/a) / 5 Rue Christine
Jandek / Depression / Newcastle Sunday / Corwood

Michael Andrews / Socks on Ears / Me and You and Everyone We Know (soundtrack) / Everloving (behind my voice)

B. Fleischmann / Gain / The Humbucking Coil / Morr Music
His Name is Alive / I'll Send My Face to Your Funeral / Raindrops Rainbow / Silver Mountain
box_ / conflict, um / Hello Special Glowing World / self
Revolting Cocks / Fire Engine / Cocked and Loaded / 13th Planet
The Bellrays / Maniac Blues / Have a Little Faith / Cheap Lullaby
Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs / Everybody Knows this is Nowhere / Under the Covers v.1 / Shout Factory

Bananarama / Solasso remix dub / Look on the Floor (Hypnotic Tango) / A & G Prod. (behind my and Domenica's voices)

Built to Spill / You Wait / You in Reverse / Warner Bros.
Flin Flon / Cardigan (encore) / Dixie / Teenbeat
Matmos / Tract for Valerie Solenas / The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast / Matador
Cat Power & Karen Elson / Je t'aime moi non plus / Selections from Monsieur Gainsbourg (v/a) / Verve
Tom Ze / Pro posta de Amor / Estudando O Pagode / Luaka Bop
Mecca Normal / I'll Call You / The Observer / Kill Rock Stars
Dick Kent / Maker of Smooth Music / The American Song-Poem Anthology / Bar-None

F/i / Keep the Third Eye Open / A Question for the Sonambulist / Strange Attractors Audio House

Danielle Howle / This Kind Of Light / Thank You Mark / Valley Entertainment
The Red Krayola / A Tale of Two / Introduction / Drag City
William Parker / Espirito / Long Hidden: The Olmec Series / Aum Fidelity
Brian ENO & David Byrne / 2 Against 3 / My Life in the Bush of Ghosts / Nonesuch
Wizardzz / Diamond Mirror / Hidden City of Taurmond / Load
Danny & th Dressmakers / Don't Make Another Bass Guitar Mr. Rickenbacker / Messthetics Greatest Hits (v/a) / Hyped 2 Death
Shivvers / Don't Tell Me / Lost Hits From Milwaulkee's First Family of Power Pop / Hyped 2 Death
Daniel Johnston / Living Life / Welcome to My World / Eternal Yip Eye Music
The Farmhands / At Skydome! / American League & National League / self release

Kim Fowley / Teenage Death Girl / Sunset Boulevard / Peer-Southern

~fin~

That was an okay show. I screwed up a few transitions and I forgot to start the cd burner untl about 15 minutes into the show, so I don't have an archive of the start of the show. That always pisses me off. Oh, and come to think of it, I didn't even mention the blog once on the air. I'm a complete space cadet. Anyway...

Love you all. Big kisses.

4 comments:

Rummy said...

Hi Brooks,

I hadn't been much online for a month and just read about your father's passing. I'm so sorry.

Brooks said...

Thanks rummy.

and, btw...

kipjyibu!

Jesus Toast said...

Ok, lets go over what bands I know from the list and what I know about them...there aren't many...

1. HIs Name is Alive. I don't know anything about this band, but I have heard of them.

2.Revolting Cocks. Same as the last.

3.Mathew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs. Of course I know and love Mr. Sweet and Suzanna was in the Bangles (singer). The song they are covering is a Neil Young song, one of my favorites, off of his album of the same name.

4.Bananarama. I was a teen in the 1980's, how could I NOT know them?

5.Brian Eno and David Byrne. Brian, my dear Brian...how I loved King Crimson back in the day...and David, how grand you were leading up the foursome that was the Talking Heads...but when you two joined forces during the period that David started inviting everyone in the New York "underground" music scene into the Talking Heads, I fear you both jumped the shark (as they say).

6. Kim Fowley. Ah, the ever-evil Kim Fowley...he destroyed som many young lives as he walked as a giant through the music industry of the late 1970's and mid 1980's...

Brooks said...

hmmm... You know, Eno was in Roxy Music but he wasn't in King Crimson. He did a lot of work with Robert Fripp from King Crimson, but he didn't work with them directly... as far as I know... I'm no expert. Robert Fripp's guitar playing on Eno's first few records is some of my favorite music of all time.

I tend to agree with you about the Eno/Byrne stuff in general. I never could really get into the album on a meaningfull level, but it was always kind of interesting. With the reissue, I think that it sounds less alien. Music has finally caught up with it and it stands proudly as an early example of sample laden loop based music. I still probobly won't replace my vinyl copy, but I'm glad to play the bonus tracks on my show.

I never listed to HNIA before either. I was really into 4AD bands but I never got into them. Go figure. This album is really good.

I was big into Ministry and RevCo and the Butthole Surfers 15 years ago, so this new album is kind of a fun little lark to listen to. Look! These old men are still making the loud music! Funny. I guess it's a living, right?

The Bananarama song is abjectly terrible. Horrible, cliche club music. Great for mockery and speaking over. (No offense intended to any Banana fans or web-searchers from the band.)

I love Susanah Hoffs' voice. It is perfectly sexy. Makes my toes curl.

Kim Fowley - singular.