Monday, November 14, 2005

Monday Night Date

Gillian and I had a wonderful date tonight. Mommy was working at the diaper service, so we were on our own. My original plan was to go for a night-time run around Capitol Lake, but it was too cold for that, even with Gillie all bundled up like a cozy burrito.

So we decided to wing it. I drove and she "sang." We left my work and drove downtown and called Jenny Jenkins who I haven't seen in a long time. She wasn't home so I left a message. I wasn't exactly sure where we were going at this point but then we saw Domenica walking along State street. We whipped into the parking lot of that place where christians scare girls out of abortions and flagged down D. It turns out that her car is on the fritz and she was headed to the bus stop and downtown. I offered her a ride in the bed of the truck and she thought that that sounded like a lot of fun since she'd never ridden in the back of a truck before. Breakin' the law! When we got down to the library we parked next to this van with a dismantled airplane on the top of it. No shit. Really. It had a cockpit and everything. You think I'm kidding. I couldn't make up something that good. Not something you see everyday.

The library was great. Gillie made friends with a vivacious mom as soon as we walked in the door. She's so social. Domenica went off to study and Gillie and I found a Bill Bryson audiobook that I haven't heard yet. I'm excited to start another of his works. He's a great writer (Unlike me.)

Again, I was sort of at a loss of what to do when I left the library. Gillian was kind of grumpy and wanted something to do. That much was obvious. She gets really bored with being at home and riding in the car. Like I just said, "she's social." "Social! That's it," I thought. She needs a buddy! So I called my friend Melissa who's got a little boy that's a month younger than Gillie. Sure enough, they thought that a little play-time sounded like a nice idea, but they were just getting ready for dinner so I had to kill a half an hour.

Again, I started driving without knowing where I was going. Hmmm... They were sitting down to diner... "So should we!" So I pulled into the Old School pizzeria parking lot and we were on to the next adventure of the night.

We had a nice time. Daddy got a beer and a slice and Gillie had tons of fun flirting with one of the dudes that works there. She's so social! She also ate an entire jar of pears. mmmmmmm...

On the way to Melissa's Jenny called me back. She was sorry that she'd missed the chance to hang out with us. That's the problem with spontaneity; you never know when it's gonna work out for you.

Gillian and Keenan played alongside each other but I wouldn't say that they played with each other. Gillie's idea of playing with another child usually consists of taking whatever toy it is that said playmate has. Fun all around. Gillie did like Keenan's dad, Patrick, however. She gave him some of Keenan's toys and it was "all good" as they say. We partied hard for about 20 or 30 minutes and then it was time to go home.

Gillian konked out in the truck on the way home and this is what she looks like now. She's out! Fun times.

3 comments:

Domenica said...

Yeah, that parking lot is scary! I know they have the Carenet kind of thing there, but there are also these shady "DJ Tilt" cars parked there and I always think it's like a Christian DJ service. How creepy. Maybe I should put "DJ Domenica" on my car in red letters, haha. At first I thought you were one of those djs shouting at me, but then I looked it was you, thank goodness.

Brooks said...

D-

Your blog still only lets "team members" make comments! Fix it! Fix it so I can comment! Oh, and send me that picture that you took of the plane on top of the van. I want to post it as evidence. You remember, right? We both saw it. I believe. They're out there. Planes on a van!

Domenica said...

Okay, it's fixed.