Sunday, April 16, 2006

Free Things Are Cool Playlist for 3/15/06

Thee Playlist from My (usually) Bi-Weekly Radio Show
Spaces to indicate sets
(artist / title / album / label)

The Double U / Mazurkle / Absurd Fjord / Communion

Jablkon / Baba Aga / Czech Music Sampler / Indies
Yoko Ono/IMA / Ask the Dragon / Rising / Capitol
Stacey Q / Stacey’s Dream / Two of Hearts 12” single / Capitol
The Free Design / I Found Love (Styrofoam & Sarah Shannon remix) / The Now Sound Redesigned / Light in the Attic

The Command All Stars / Whatever Lola Wants / Persuasive Percussion / Award
(Behind my voice)

Petra Haden / Salias Stingy / Sings The Who Sell Out / Bar/None
Rod McKuen, Bob McFadden & Dor with Bill Haley & the Comets / The Beat Generation / Rod McKuen’s Greatest Hits Vol. 2 / Stanyon
Lorenzo Antonio Sanchez / Teddy Bear / s/t / Hurricane
Kompressor / You Need Services / Discipline / Sharing Machine
Joan of Arc / Gripped by the Lips / Joan of Arc, Dick Cheney, Mark Twain / Polyvinyl

The Crabs / Alien Girl / Jackpot / K
Burl Ives / Ring of Fire / The Special Magic of… / Suffolk Marketing
Unknown Artist / I Lost My Girl to an Argentinean Cowboy / The American Song-Poem Anthology / Bar/None
The New Session People / Is it true what they say about Dixie? / Famous Songs from Days Gone By / Amarillo
Mother Truckers Yellow Duck / Kill the Pig / Yee-Haw! : The Other Side of Country / QDK Media
Dungen / Stadsvandringar / Stadsvandringar / Astralwerks
Saing Saing Maw / unknown title / Guitars of the Golden Triangle (v/a) / Sublime Frequencies

The Legendary Jim Ruiz Group / She’s Gone Away / Oh Brother Where Art Thou? / Minty Fresh
The Detroit Cobras / Now You’re Gone / Baby / Bloodshot
The Magnetic Fields / Long-Forgotten Fairytale / 69 Love Songs / Merge
Benett / How Do You Say Goodbye? / So You’re Not Coming Over? / WIN

Sloan / Nothing Lasts Forever Anymore / Action Pact / KOCH
Bonny Billy / A Dream of the Sea / More Revery / Temporary Residence
The Minus Five / Cigs Coffee Booze / s/t / Yep Roc
Robyn Hitchcock / Satellite / Eye / Twin Tone
The Dirtbombs / Executioner of Love / Dangerous Magical Noise / In the Red
The Dirty Three with Nick Cave / Running Scared / Sharks EP / Anchor & Hope

Joanna Newsom / Inflammatory Writ / The Milk-Eyed Mender / Drag City

Sorry it took me so long to get this playlist posted. Life happened. Life and death.

2 comments:

Jesus Toast said...

Ok, who do I know from this one?

1. Yoko Ono, of course.

2. Stacey Q. Famous for the 2 of Hearts song.

3.Rod McKuen. America's number one best selling poet, wrote the hit, "Seasons in the Sun" (performed by Terry Jacks). Funnily enough, Rod is a friend of mine...I know it sounds odd, but we've been friends for years now, and I visit him when I go to LA every year. He's a bit odd, and a recluse, but still a friend.

4.Burl Ives. Again, who doesn't know him?

5. The Detroit Cobras. I'm from Detroit, I played in the music scene here for years, enough said.

6. Sloan. I love this band. Snowsuit Sound is my favorite song. Just a great, great band.

7. Robyn Hitchcock...where are the Egyptians?

8. Nick Cave...where are the Bad Seeds? Are they with the Egyptians?

Brooks said...

Wow!

You know Rod McKuen?!?!?

That's awesome! I try to play Rod on my show every few months. His work is so good. I'm a mummy is sheer genius. One of th funniest songs of all time. Port of Amsterdam is arresting and enthralling.

And speaking of Terry Jacks, have you ever heard The Poppy Family? Great late 60s, early 70s pop music in the style of the Carpenters. Highly recomended.

Have you heard Sloan's Action Pact album? It's the perfect power pop album. I can't ever get enough of it. Relatively new (2-3 years) but completely timeless.

Robyn Hitchcock hasn't played with Andy Metcalf (of the Egyptians) for more than a decade. Morris Windsor still drums for him on occasion. The song that I played was from Robyn's solo album that he did in middle of his Egyptians career in 1990, though. Eye is a fan favorite and in my top 5 or so favorite robyn albums. I'm a big fan. He's my favorite artist.

Maybe Metcalf hooked up with the Bad Seeds to form the Bad Egyptians, a new al Quieda splinter cell?